Both the Spanish and Greeks celebrate the “siesta” during the work day. We force our newborns and kindergarteners to take several of them throughout the day. They have cute and clever names like “cat,” “disco,” and “power”. But can you tell us the last time you really enjoyed a good old fashioned nap? In our busy 9-5, take the kids to soccer practice, meet your friends for drinks, watch the latest episode of Rock of Love Bus lives we often neglect the simplest pleasure we can give ourselves: the nap. Need an added incentive to have the party? Today is national napping day.
- E-mail This party is all about simplicity so don’t go to crazy with the invite.
The idea behind this party is to make everything look comfy and cozy.
- Lots of pillows, big and small. Just make sure they’re comfy. Hard, decorative pillows have no purpose during naptime.
- Big, soft comforters and blankets…it’s time to pull out those fleece blankets you have leftover from college.
- Sleeping bags: we suggest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and My Little Pony. Listen, we won’t judge you…we still have ours in our linen closets!
- Channel your inner 7-year-old and build an old fashioned tent. Gather broomsticks, couch cushions and sheets to make this cheap childhood favorite.
- All serving platters/bowls, cutlery, dishes, and cups should be plastic and disposable. You do not want to wake up from your long, overdue nap to a sink full of dishes.
FOOD AND DRINK MENU
Buy Everything! Do not stress yourself out with cooking and cleaning dishes. Remember tryptophan is your friend. Yes, Jerry did this to his girlfriend on Seinfeld to play with her toys, but who says “drugging” your friends to make them sleep is wrong?
Cheese especially parmesan has a high level per serving of tryptophan. You can also put out chips and pretzels since they are carbs and help the sleeping along.
Entrée: Turkey Sandwiches
Call your local deli or supermarket and have them make a tray. Also, get sides like potato and macaroni salad; we really hope that your friends can give up the low-carb diet for one night to enjoy the slumber!
Dessert: Vanilla Wafer Pudding
Vanilla wafers rank high on the glycemic index, and that spike in blood sugar will help you fall asleep faster.
- Cocktail: Serve a box of white wine with the sandwiches. On the beverage front also serve caffeine free soda and decaf coffee and tea.
- Play old John Hughes movies. As much as we love them, we know them and don’t mind falling asleep during them. We suggest “Pretty in Pink,” “Uncle Buck,” and “Some Kind of Wonderful”.
- Get a sound machine with sounds such as “Rainforest” and “Ocean” to create that sleepy environment.
- The only game you should be playing is who can be quiet the longest. A favorite of ours here at Party Remedies from our baby sitting days: challenge your guests to keep quiet the longest. The reward you ask? Your guests will most likely fall asleep and take that all important nap they have so desperately waited for.
Remember to keep it comfy and cozy, no matter what you wear.
- Pajamas, we suggest cozy flannel.
- Sweat pants and t-shirts.
- Robes and slippers.
- We do not suggest lingerie under any circumstance, yes we know you want to look cute when cozy up next to that dreamboat you have been eyeing since your friends last party but this is a nap party. Keep the lingerie for the stripper costume you are going to wear for Halloween so you can enjoy a luxurious nap!
LAST MINUTE TIPS
Normally at this time we would give you a “humorous” last minute tip or trick but, since we so rarely get to enjoy a simple nap in this day and age all we want to say is relax, hit the snooze button and enjoy a massive sleep over with your friendzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
And as always, remember to bring your camera!