Happy Birthday, Paul Rubens! The man most famous for bringing us Pee Wee Herman and throwing it all away (temporarily) in a Florida adult theater after being arrested for indecent exposure is the topic of today's party. Take the time to reflect on Paul's many achievements as a writer, producer, actor, and comedian.
- Snail Mail: a postcard with Pee-Wee's image should suffice.
Base your décor off Pee Wee' s Playhouse. While it may be hard to recreate the set, opt for a kid, friendly, colorful environment.
- Your theme colors should be bright made up mostly of primary and secondary colors – red, blue, yellow, green, orange, and purple. Use all this for your paper goods, balloons, table covers, etc.
- Tape large googley eyes on your arm chairs, furniture, and windows to mimic Chairry, Mr. Windows, and others.
- Set out bean bag chairs and other kid-friendly seating.
- Put out any vintage toys you may own, encourage your guests to do the same. The pieces will also make great ice breakers/conversation starters.
- For more Pee Wee inspiration, visit the official site.
FOOD AND DRINK MENU
Create a Pee Wee and Blow inspired menu with a hodge podge of foods. Put everything out on one table and let your guests tear it up!
- Mr. T Cereal
- French Fries
- Hot Dogs
- Powdered Donuts or Zeppoles
- Cocktail: Tequila based drinks – Margaritas, Tequila Sunrise, Tequiza
- Pee Wee's Playhouse – and yes, that is Laurence "Don't call me Larry" Fishburne playing Cowboy Curtis. The series is now available on DVD for the first time!
- Pee Wee's Big Adventure
- Big Top Pee Wee
- Blow – the blockbuster was his big comeback following the indecent exposure incident.
Paul Rubens has done a slew of guest starring roles on television throughout the years. See if you can find episodes from the following:
- Murphy Brown
- Pushing Daisies
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- Reno 911
- 30 Rock
- Tequila! Dance Contest – do your best Pee Wee Herman impression
- Secret Word – assign a secret word of the day…whenever it is uttered everyone goes nuts and screams.
- For more gags and games from Pee Wee's Playhouse, click here.
With so many Playhouse characters to choose from, as well as Paul Ruben's vast career, this party is a must-have costume party!
- For a list of Pee Wee's Playhouse characters, click here.
- Go "dirty old man" style and wear a trench coat with nothing underneath.
- 70's pimp – based off Derek Foreal, Paul's character in Blow.
LAST MINUTE TIPS
If you get inspired by any of Paul Ruben's illicit activities, do yourself a favor – have fun, don't get caught.
And as always, remember to bring your camera!