Celebrate your cranium with this light-hearted theme dedicated to all things puzzle.
- Online – preferably in puzzle format.
Think subtle novelty
- Spread around various puzzle books – crossword, sudoku, anagrams, etc. Be sure to have plenty of pens and pencils.
- Scatter pieces of a jigsaw puzzle around (this will come in handy later for games).
- Use puzzle-themed plates or decorate in black and white to mimic a crossword.
FOOD AND DRINK MENU
Keep it to finger foods so guests have their hands-free to puzzle away.
- Appetizer: Fruit and cheese platter (Arrange in a puzzle shape), crackers, chips and vegetables with a thick dip of your choice. We like Buffalo Chicken Dip.
- Entrée: Assorted appetizers, like Crab Rangoon, Open-Face Turkey Cheddar Melts, and Cream Cheese Bacon Crescents. For a full list of ideas, click here.
- Dessert: Puzzle Cake
- Cocktail: Mama's Hot Buttered Drink (this link has an option to turn the recipe into a Word Find puzzle)
- Music that stimulates thought such as Classical, New Age or Light Jazz.
- Have game shows running on TV, like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Super Password. Engage the audience by seeing who can get the correct answer fastest before the contestant.
- Instruct the guests gather the jigsaw pieces you've spread around and have them put the puzzle together.
- Any word or puzzle game – Scrabble, Scattergories, Clue, Cranium, etc.
- Have group or individual puzzle contests. You can even create your own crossword at EdHelper.
- Try stumping each other with logic puzzle or brain teasers; or see which guest can create the best "fuzzy-logic" scenario. This can be particular entertaining after a few rounds of drinks.
- For a fun twist, have guests wear pajamas as if it's an old-school Sunday morning with Dad doing the crossword puzzle…
LAST MINUTE TIPS
If you have ample time before your party, have puzzles made from pictures of each of your guests (or an item or place that has meaning to them) and hand them out as party favors. This can be done at Jigsaw2Puzzle.com.
And as always, remember to bring your camera!